How to Dye Your Hair Naturally
Gone are the days when artificial hair coloring was used primarily by the older generation to combat the inevitable graying of their hair.
Nowadays, hair dying is a trendy procedure popular among the old and young, women and men alike.
It is primarily a cosmetic procedure done to cover up gray hair, restore color after a hair dressing procedure like bleaching, or experiment with a different hair color for fashion purposes.
Hair coloring is not merely a service to be purchased at the salon anymore. People have become adept at doing it at home.
- Ancient Egypt, South Asia, Europe, Arabia and Africa – cultures the world over have been using henna as a natural hair-coloring agent for thousands of years. It is one of the most potent natural coloring agents in the world.
- Depending upon the actual color of the hair and the quality of the henna being used, the resulting color after a henna application can be orange, red or a dark burgundy.
- Besides its coloring properties, henna is also an incredible conditioner and makes the hair manageable. It also provides strength and vitality to the hair and prevents breakage.
- Moreover, henna helps inhibit the over production of oil from the scalp that makes hair greasy and limp, and maintains its buoyancy.
Walnut leaves :-
- Another way to dye your hair naturally is through walnut leaves. This ingredient is perfect to cover gray hair and to get a much younger and radiant appearance.
- This plant has been used since ancient times as a way to get a darker hair, so if you want to follow this method it is best that you do with walnut leaves and let dry at home.
- To take advantage of its quality as a natural dye you have to boil the walnut leaves into a pot with water; let boil for 15 minutes and then strain the water to remove the leaves.
- Once ready and cool, you have to apply yourself this liquid into your hair ensuring that all parts of your hair is wet. Now, let sit for 25 or 30 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- You can repeat this procedure once every 15 days or every month to get a darker tone and above all, no gray or white hair!
- It is one of the most recommended natural ingredients for dyeing hair without any chemicals or harmful elements. Coffee contains properties that help to darken the hair and therefore is recommended only in case you want a darker tone than your natural color.
- This remedy is suited for people with brown hair. To prepare this remedy you have to prepare 2 cups of coffee and let it cool.
- Do not add anything more, no milk or sugar or anything because remember it’s not for drinking, but is for use on your hair. The way that we use I to dye hair is very simple, it will be a hair rinse.
- All you have to do is wash your hair with plain water, then put your head upside down and pour the coffee you have prepared. If you want the result to be quite dark we recommend you throw more than 2 cups of coffee, so you get a stronger and more intense color.
- Massage your hair for the coffee to penetrate in all areas and let sit for about 30 minutes, then rinse and wash again. This procedure can be repeated 1 time per month to get a more striking color, but if you want to always keep the same tone then do weekly as coffee provides no toxic that could harm, contrary it is packed with vitamins nutrients.
Lemon juice :-
- The powdered henna leaf contains the dye molecules which, when released, penetrate the scalp and hair and color them.
- However, these powdered leaf particles are covered with cellulose, which needs to be broken down to release the dye molecules.
- While other products can break down the cellulose, only an acidic product like lemon juice will enable it to stick to your scalp and hair firmly, and color your hair more effectively.
Coconut milk :-
- Long-term henna dye users just cannot stop raving about the incredible benefits of adding coconut milk to the henna paste.
- For starters, it counters the extremely drying effect that lemon juice can have on your scalp, especially for those who already suffer from dry scalp and hair. Moreover, it combats the drying effects of henna.
- Apart from its incredibly moisturizing properties, it helps release the dye quicker, and nourishes and strengthens your hair for extra measure.
Chamomile tea :-
- People with blonde or light brown hair may lower its natural tone thanks to the clarifying properties of chamomile. Some cosmetics use chamomile for a more intense, bright and beautiful blond tone therefore, it is one of the best remedies dying hair and increasing its highlights.
- To do this you only have to prepare a chamomile tea and when it is ready, let cool and then apply it on our hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinsed with your lukewarm water and then finally a cold water wash.
- If you want an even clearer result you can add half a cup of lemon juice to chamomile as this fruit also contains properties that help us to lighten the color of hair. So if you want to dye your hair to get highlights then this can be a great remedy.
- In case you’re interested only hide the gray hair, the best natural remedy for this is heena or sage. Gray hairs appear because the protein and melanin that is responsible for coloring our hair is no longer produced adequately.
Applying the henna :-
- Part your hair down the middle of your scalp into two sections, bringing each section to either side of your shoulders.
- Put on a pair of gloves for applying the henna to protect your fingers and nails from staining.
- Starting with the right side, lift a 2-inch section of your hair from the crown and begin coating your hair with the henna.
- Once the section is completely coated, twist it with your fingers and coil it into a bun on the top of your head.
- Start moving down from the crown, parting a 2-inch section each time, repeating the coating and twisting process, and each time coiling them around the same first bun.
- Repeat the process with the left side of your hair. When done, you should have one big henna mound on the top of your head.
- Wrap a plastic wrap on your head (or use a shower cap for shorter hair) and keep it on for at least 5 to 6 hours. For best results, sleep with it overnight.