Cure Jaundice: Natural home remedies for Jaundice
Many home remedies have been used for centuries using basic household ingredients to cure and prevent jaundice. Many of them have been found effective in flushing out the excess bilirubin from the body and detoxifying the blood and promoting normal liver function. By expelling the toxins from the body, these remedies help the liver to function properly. These natural ingredients are completely safe and hardly have any side effects.
Types of Jaundice :
- Haemolyptic jaundice – This a type of jaundice that occurs due to the too much destruction of red blood cells, therefore, it causes anemia and increased formation of bilirubin.
- Obstruction jaundice – This occurs when the passageway between the place of conjugation of bilirubin in the liver cells and the entrance of bile in the duodenum is blocked.
- Hepatocellular jaundice – This occurs due to damage to the liver cells, because of viral infection or toxic drugs. Yellowing of the skin and the whites of the eyes is the noticeable symptom of all above three types of jaundice.
Causes of Jaundice :
- Liver inflammation
- Excessive bile acids production in the liver and in the blood
- Obstruction in bile ducts due to Hepatitis, Gallstones.
- Diseases which block the bile duct such as Malaria, Tuberculosis, Typhoid, Haemolytic anemia, Yellow fever etc.
- Breast milk
- Neonatal hepatitis
- Crigler-Najjar syndrome
- Dubin-Johnson syndrome
Vegetable Juices :-
Some vegetables can provide your body with essential nutrients and work as detoxifier to eliminate toxins from the body. Drinking tomato juice in the morning on empty stomach is beneficial for combating jaundice. Similarly carrot juice, beetroot juice and bitter guard juice is helpful in curing jaundice within a very short period. Adding lemon juice in bitter guard juice will enhance the taste and increase its effectiveness.Avoid fried and heavy foods, alcohol and smoking when you are suffering from jaundice.
Sugar Cane :-
Drink this juice 2 times a day. This is one of the best remedies to cure jaundice. Add a tsp of lime juice to sugar cane juice (1 glass) and mix well. Drink sugar cane juice 2–3 times in a day, so that urine is passed adequately and also the patient gets proper nourishment. The juice of sugar cane aids in bile secretion, normal functioning of the liver and maintains the level of bilirubin (bile pigment) in blood.
Barley is another great diuretic for detoxifying the liver by washing away the toxins and curing jaundice. Boil 1 cup barley in at least three liters of water. Drink four to five glass of barley water daily until jaundice subsides.
Lemon Juice :-
Mix 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey with glass of warm/normal water and consume this mixture daily in the morning and in the evening to protect liver cells and fast recovery in jaundice.
Lemons can help treat jaundice due to their liver-healing properties. Being diuretic in nature, lemons encourage urine production so that harmful waste products, including bilirubin, get eliminated from the body. Plus, they stimulate the liver’s bile production and boost mineral absorption.
- Dilute the juice from half a lemon in one glass of water and drink it three or four times a day for two to three weeks.
- You can also mix the juice of one-half lemon and a pinch of salt in one-half glass of water. Drink it three times a day for a few weeks.
- Alternatively, add eight to 10 lemon leaves to a cup of boiling water. Cover and steep for about five minutes. Strain and drink it twice daily for weeks.
Radishes are very good for the liver and hence a good remedy for jaundice. They also act as a powerful detoxifier to purify the blood and help eliminate harmful toxins and waste, including bilirubin, from the body. Both radishes and radish leaves can be used in the treatment of jaundice.
- Extract the juice from some fresh radish leaves. Drink one glass of radish leaf juice twice a day for about 10 days to ensure a faster recovery. You can also add one teaspoon of crushed basil leaves in it.
- Alternatively, eat fresh radishes, especially black radishes every morning for two weeks. You can eat them in salads or soup.
The high amount of lycopene present in tomatoes can help reduce damage to the liver and facilitate recovery from jaundice. Also, tomato acts as a potent detoxifier, which means it can effectivelyeliminate harmful toxins from the body.
- Boil five fresh tomatoes in two cups of water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the skin and blend the tomatoes.
- Press them on a sieve to extract the juice.
- Add a pinch of pepper and salt to the juice.
- Drink one glass of this juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- Follow this remedy once daily for at least two weeks.
Carrots are another effective home remedy for jaundice. This orange vegetable is very effective in cleansing the liver and repairing any damage. Plus, carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A, a nutrient required for a strong immune system and faster recovery.
- Drink a glass of carrot juice every day to improve the condition of your liver.
- You can also eat carrots in pureed, boiled or salad form to speed up the healing process.