Home Remedies for Fever – Instantly Bring Down Body Temperature
Medically, fever is known as “Pyrexia”. If the body temperature is above the normal temperature (98.6 F), it is considered as fever. Mostly, normal fever causes no problem, but high fever is perilous, especially for children. Fever helps the body to fight against infections. We get fever when fungi, virus, bacteria or other toxins invade our body.
Cool Water :-
Cool water is one of the best home remedies to reduce body heat effectively. In addition, it also helps your body recover fast from the side effects of high temperature. For optimal results, you can use it as follows.
- When your temperature increases, you should enjoy a tall glass of cool water. Afterwards, you sip some cool water every 20 minutes.
- Another option is to take ice cubes to a foot tub and then fill it with cool water. Soak your feet in the bucket for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- The other way is to enjoy a cool bath to decrease body heat.
Using lemon regularly can prevent heat-related illnesses as well as keep the body cool. The high vitamin C presents in lemon can help reduce body temperature. In addition, it also oxygenates and hydrates the body to maintain you feeling refreshed and energized during the hot summer days. For positive effects, you should use it as follows.
- Squeeze the juice from about ½ lemon into water (a glass).
- Then add honey (1 teaspoon) and a pinch of salt to it.
It is recommended to enjoy about 3 glasses of lemon juice per day.
Coconut Water :-
Coconut water is also considered as one of the effective home remedies to reduce body heat. Its electrolyte composition is very effective for rehydrating your body. In addition, it is loaded with nutrients that will help lift your energy. Simply, you need only to drink one glass of tender coconut water several times daily for best results.
Sandalwood is also one of the great home remedies to reduce body heat due to its soothing and cooling properties. It is used to decrease body heat as follows.
- Mix sandalwood powder (2 tablespoons) with enough cold milk or water to create a fine paste. Then add rose water (a few drops) and next to rub this paste on your chest and forehead. Let it to dry on its own and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Another method is to rub a little sandalwood oil on your forehead and then leave it on for some hours. You should add sandalwood oil (a few drops) in coconut oil (one teaspoon) and then apply to avoid skin irritation.
- The other option is to sprinkle sandalwood powder on your chest, back and armpits after taking a shower in order to keep cooler body temperature.
Watermelon can help in reducing body heat quickly thanks to its high water content. Especially, eating watermelon regularly will also help keep you hydrated. For desirable results, you can use it to reduce body heat as follows.
- Eat watermelon (a few slices), or combine it with some sugar and cold milk to make a refreshing drink.
- Another choice is to mix cubes of watermelon with muskmelon and cucumber. Then add a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil over it in order to make a healthy salad.
Peppermint also contains a cooling and soothing effect. Therefore, it is also one of the effective home remedies to reduce body heat. In addition to reducing body heat, it also helps to reduceheadaches and relieve nausea as well. To see instant results, you should use it as following options.
- Simmer fresh peppermint leaves (a few ounces) in one pot of boiling water for at least 15 minutes. Next to strain out these leaves and then let the water to cool down. After that, you add this peppermint-infused water to a bathtub filled with cool bath water and immerse in it for at least 25 minutes. Another way is to prepare a peppermint bath by adding peppermint essential oil (a few drops) to cool bath water.
- Another option is to steep dried or fresh peppermint leaves (one teaspoon) in a cup of hot water. Strain and then sweeten with a little raw honey. Afterwards, you cool it in the refrigerator. It is suggested to drink your cool peppermint tea several times every day.
Aloe Vera :-
Aloe vera is one of the most popular home remedies to reduce body heat. Its cooling and soothing properties can help keep normal body temperature. For positive result, aloe vera is used as follows.
- You can take fresh aloe vera gel and then apply it over your body. Allow it on for at least 20 minutes and then take a cold bath. You can repeat as needed.
- Another way is to drink homemade aloe vera juice (a glass) prepared with up to aloe vera gel (2 tablespoons). You should not drinke more than two tablespoons of aloe vera gel per day.
Reduce the Temperature :-
Cool down the temperature of your room. Keep the fan off if you are feeling cold. This will provide comfort. Don’t bundle yourself in blankets and clothes. This will make your fever last longer. Sleep and take rest.
Mix Herbs :-
Try this home remedy when you feel feverish. Boil 2 cups of water and add 1 tablespoon of yarrow, 1 tablespoon of elderberry flowers, and 1 tablespoon of peppermint. Steep these herbs for 10 minutes. Drink this mix herb water hot to prevent fever.
Cold Pack for Bringing Down High Fever :-
If the fever does not subside with a cold compress, you can do a cold treatment for the full body. For this, take a clean bed sheet that is light weight. Soak it in cold water and wring dry. Wrap it around the body of the person, start from the neck to the legs. Wrap it twice around and cover the wrapped body using a blanket. This will retain the coolness within the blanket. This treatment can be continued every 2-3 hours. The cold wrap must be kept on for about an hour before it is removed. This is a sure way of removing fever from the body
Water for Cooling the Body and Hydration :-
When you have fever, the body is bound to lose a lot of water as a result of the heat generated within the body. It is therefore important to stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water, preferably cold water if you do not have an accompanying cough or cold, is in itself a remedy to bring down the body temperature as cold water exerts its cooling effect on the hot body. Water can be taken in the form of juices if you do not want to drink just water. If your fever does not improve with these treatments, seek medical attention immediately.