Jaundice Treatment Home Remedies
Jaundice is not a disease but a sign of an underlying disease. Alcoholic liver disorder and viral hepatitis are the two most common diseases that result in Jaundice. Other underlying causes of Jaundice include malaria, cirrhosis, thalassemia, hepatitis A, cholestasis or other disorders of the liver .
Jaundice cannot be treated or better said, treatment of jaundice is usually unnecessary.The correct approach is to cure Jaundice is to treat the underlying disease. Allopathic system prescribes blood test for abnormal red blood cells, bilirubin levels, hepatitis and substances that indicate liver dysfunction. Doctor often prescribe additional tests like biopsy or ultrasound to identify the causes of jaundice.
A correct dignosis of underlying cause is vital for taking remedial measures for Jaundice.However certain food are known to alleviate the symptoms and help improve liver functioning. The following are some natural foods that are effective in Jaundice.
- Extreme weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Undue fatigue
- Severe constipation
- Yellow colouration of the eyes, tongue, skin and urine
- Intense itching in obstructive jaundice
- Malfunctioning of liver due to the obstruction of the bile ducts, which are responsible for discharging bile salts and pigment into the intestine. This bile is then mixed with the blood and thus gives the skin the yellow hue.
- Gall-stones in old age can pass into the common duct and cause the jaundice
- Hepatitis which is the inflammation of the liver, caused by a virus. It can spread, leading to epidemics due to overcrowding, dirty surroundings, insanitary conditions and contamination of the food and water.
- Pernicious anaemia
- Diseases affecting the liver like thyroid, malaria, yellow fever and tuberculosis
- Acute cholecystitis.
Remedies for Jaundice
The treatment of jaundice usually begins after diagnosing the underlying cause. The treatment will then be aimed at resolving the specific cause. Jaundice that occurs due to anemia may be treated by elevating the iron levels in the blood through iron supplements or with the intake of foods rich in iron. Jaundice induced by hepatitis may be treated with anti-viral medications. Surgery may be required in cases where the condition develops as a result of blockages. In some cases, jaundice may even develop as a result of, as a side effect from certain medications. In such cases, the jaundice may be treated by altering the dosage or changing the medication.
Medical treatment however is absolutely essential, not just for the treatment, but more importantly for an accurate diagnosis of the underlying cause, so as to facilitate appropriate treatment. Home care and lifestyle modifications are however an important aspect of treatment and the recuperation process. You can also try using other natural methods that are believed to help in the treatment of jaundice, but not all of these methods have been scientifically proven, so exercise caution. Some of the most common jaundice natural remedies include:
- Tomato juice: One glass of tomato juice, mixed with a pinch of salt and pepper, taken on empty stomach in the morning is a very effective home cure for jaundice.
- Radish leaves: Radish leaves contain compounds which induces appetite and regularises the bowel movements. Take some radish leaves and extract juice from it, with the help of a sieve. Drink about half a litre of the extracted juice daily, in about ten days the patient should get relief from the disease.
- Papaya leaves: Add one tablespoon of honey to one teaspoon of papaya leaves paste. Eat this regularly for about one or two weeks. This is a very effective home cure for jaundice.
- Sugarcane: The properties in sugarcane helps in proper digestion and proper liver functioning, thereby helping the patient to recover quickly from jaundice. Take a glass of sugarcane juice and add some lime juice to this. Drink this juice twice daily for better results. Ensure to clean sugarcane properly before extracting juice from it.
- Basil leaves: Take about 10-15 basil leaves and make a paste of it. Add half a glass of freshly prepared radish juice to it. Drink this daily for about two to three weeks for better results.
- Gooseberry: Gooseberry is rich in vitamin C and is a very useful in alleviating the symptoms of jaundice.
- Barley: Boil a cup of barley water in about three litres of water and allow it to simmer for about three hours. Drink this water as frequently as possible throughout the day for treatment of jaundice.
- Lemon: The anti inflammatory property in lemon helps in treating jaundice. Lemon also unblocks the bile ducts , thereby making it the most effective home remedy for jaundice. Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons and add it to a glass of water. Drink this minimum thrice a day , as it protects the liver cells from damage.
- Pigeon peas leaves: Extract juice from pigeon pea leaves by crushing them and take at least 60ml of this juice daily for treating jaundice. The leguminous beans of these are also very nutritive and can be added in the diet.
- Almonds: Take about 8 kernels of almonds, two dates and five cardamoms and soak them in water. Leave it overnight. In the morning, remove the skins and make a paste of it. Add some sugar and butter. Take this mixture several times a day.
- Turmeric: Take a glass of warm water and add a pinch of turmeric to it. Mix well and drink this three or four times a day.
- Snake gourd leaves: Take about 7-10 leaves and boil it in a cup of water and allow it to cool. Take 10-15 coriander seeds and boil it in half a litre of water. Mix it with the previously prepared decoction. Drink at least thrice a day for effective cure of jaundice.
- Indian aloe Vera leaves: Take the pulp of the leaves of Indian aloe vera and mix it with black salt and ginger. Take this every morning for about ten days.
- Beetroot and lemon: Take one cup of beetroot juice and mix with equal quantity of lemon juice and drink this regularly for a few days for effective results.
- Chicory plant: All parts of chicory plant is useful in curing liver problems. The flowers, seeds and roots are the more common parts used. The juice of chicory help treating the enlargement of spleen, sluggishness of the liver and it also promotes healthy secretion of the bile .
- Jaundice berry: Make a juice of the bark of jaundice berry and take a teaspoon of this several times a day , daily.
- Chamomile: Tea made of chamomile is very effective cure for jaundice and should be at least once a day for several weeks and can be continued after cure of jaundice as a preventive measure.
- Buttermilk: Take buttermilk and add roasted alum and add some black pepper and mix well and drink at least thrice a day for better results.
- Banana: Crush ripe banana and add some honey and take this at least twice a day for better results.
- Carrot juice: Make fresh carrot juice and drink several times a day for effective cure of jaundice and it can be included in the diet also.
- Bitter luffa: Squeeze and pound bitter luffa , to extract its juice . place the juice in the palm of the hand and draw it through the nostrils. Yellow liquid will flow out the nostrils as a result of this .when the toxic matter is evacuated in considerable amount the patient will feel relieved. Seeds of bitter luffa can also be used for the same purpose.
- Bael leaves: Take baels leaves and grind to make a powder. Mix it to a glass of water. Drink this once a day for effective cure of jaundice.
At the End, Consult your Doctor always and get proper advice from them. Above content is just universal and may/may not apply to all Individual.