Benefits Of Mango Leaves For Our Body
Though the king of fruits, our very own mango, steals the limelight easily, its leaves are great reservoirs of good health. The leaves of the mango tree are fleshy and shiny with a sharp tip. These trees provide shade and comfort to the passers-by in the hot months of Indian summers. The leaves are full of vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants and numerous other minerals. The active compound ‘mangiferin’ present in these leaves has immense benefits.
Mango leaves can be boiled in water and drank or can be consumed in powdered form to ward off a number of health problems. In South East Asia, the tender leaves of this tree are cooked and eaten. Also for medicinal purposes young leaves should be used. But one has to be careful when using these leaves as mango latex allergy is known to affect people.
Gall And Kidney Stones :-
- The mango leaves help treat kidney stones and gallstones.
- The daily intake of a finely ground powder of mango leaves, which are dried in the shade, with water kept in a tumbler overnight, helps in breaking the stones and flushing them out.
Respiratory Problems :-
- The mango leaves are good for all kinds of respiratory problems.
- It is especially useful for people suffering from cold, bronchitis and asthma.
- Drinking a decoction made by boiling mango leaves in water with a little honey helps to cure cough effectively.
- It also helps in curing voice loss.
Ear Aches :-
- Ear ache can be quite irritating. Using this home remedy provides good relief.
- A teaspoon of juice extracted from mango leaves as eardrops provides relief from earache.
- Heat the juice slightly before using it.
- Patients of diabetes can use leaves in two forms. Leaves are dried in the shade, grinded and stored in clean jars.
- About 1 tsp can be taken daily.Or, fresh leaves are soaked in water, kept for a few hours or overnight and strained the next day.
- Both preparations give great benefits to diabetes patients, especially when taken at the onset of this problem.
- They help to maintain the insulin levels in the body and reduce hyperglycemia.
Vascular Diseases :-
- Diabetes can lead to a lot of complications including eye problems.
- Leaves of mango contain tannins which are called anthocyanins.
- Mango leaf tea is known to be beneficial in treating diabetic rhinopathy and other vascular apathies.
Blood Pressure And Anxiety :-
- These leaves have compounds which have a calming effect on the nerves in the system bringing down anxiety and restlessness.
- Add 2-3 cups of mango tea to water for bathing, and feel the senses rejuvenated.
- Also, blood pressure can be controlled by sipping the tea of these leaves.
Varicose Veins And Hypertension :-
- Brewed mango tea, which is prepared by boiling young leaves in water till it changes color, can treat varicose veins.
- It works by basically making the delicate blood vessels stronger.
- 2 tablespoons of the juice of fruits like guava, papaya or mango can be added to a cup of this tea to get faster results. Hypertension is also relieved if blood vessels are functioning well.