Natural Remedies For Melasma
Melasma, which means skin hyperpigmentation, is a very common skin condition. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, melasma affects an estimated six million people in the United States and is more common among women than men.
Melasma interferes with the natural color of the skin and leads to the formation of brown patches on the face.
The main cause of melasma is excess melanin production in skin cells due to excessive sun exposure. However, other factors also contribute to this problem, including hormonal changes in the body, excessive stress, toxins, thyroid problems and use of birth control pills.
Often melasma is mistaken for freckles or age spots. But brown spots on the face due to melasma typically will be larger, darker and have irregular shapes.
As brown spots on the face are a beauty concern for many, there are many medicines and treatment options available in the market. Before opting for such treatments, bear in mind they may have side effects.
Instead, you can check your kitchen cupboards, spice cabinet and refrigerator for natural ingredients that can be used at home to treat melasma. These natural remedies will help you restore your skin color without side effects.
Lemon Juice :-
Lemon juice is the best way to cure melasma. Its acidic nature and vitamin C component improve the discolorations and peel off the outer layer of the skin. Apply the juice on the affected areas, lightly massage for a few seconds and leave it for 10 minutes. Then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Mix lemon juice and raw honey in equal proportion. Apply the mask and cover it with a warm towel for 15 minutes. Then rinse off.
- A paste of turmeric powder and lemon juice is also an effective remedy for hyper-pigmentation.
Sandalwood Powder and Rose Water :-
Make a paste by mixing sandalwood powder and rose water. Apply it all over your face. Leave it for 20 minutes. Then wash it off with lukewarm water. It will give you a radiant complexion and diminish the tanning and hyper pigmentation.
- Combine an equal amount of lemon juice, whole milk, turmeric, and sandalwood powder. Apply the mixture on the affected area. Allow it to dry. Finally, rinse off with water. Use it 3-4 times a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar :-
The acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar makes it a powerful bleaching agent, which helps remove spots and make the skin much smoother and more radiant.
- Mix together equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Apply this solution on the melasma spots and allow it to air dry.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry the skin gently.
- Follow this remedy once daily.
Turmeric can also reduce the skin’s melanin and help combat melasma. The active ingredient curcumin in turmeric spice has antioxidant and skin-lightening properties.
- Mix five tablespoons of turmeric powder with 10 tablespoons of milk to make a paste. It is best to use whole milk because it has lactic acid and calcium that helps exfoliate and soften the skin.
- Add one tablespoon of gram flour to thicken the mixture.
- Apply this paste evenly on the affected area.
- Allow it to dry for 20 minutes. Then rinse it off with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Repeat this treatment daily for best results.
- Blend the mashed oatmeal and honey to form a paste.
- Then spread the mixture on the affected area of your face.
- Leave it for half an hour and rinse off with warm water.
- It acts as a natural exfoliator and helps dissolve the dead cells from the skin.
Castor Oil :-
- Massage castor oil on the dark spots and leave it overnight for effective results.
- Wash off in the morning.
- Apply regularly to do away with spots and marks on the skin.
Onion Juice :-
- Apply onion juice mixed with equal amounts of apple cider vinegar.
- Dab it on the skin with a cotton ball and leave it for some time till it dries up and then rinse.
- Alternatively crush some onion seeds and apply to the marks and wash once it dries up.
- Mix 2 tab honey to the pulp of an Avocado.
- This paste has to be applied to the face and left for 20 minutes.
- The healing properties of avocado and bleaching effects of honey help in lightening the blemishes.
Aloe Vera :-
- Aloe vera contains compounds that lightens the brown spots and slowly fades them.
- Fresh aloe gel should be applied on the marks and left overnight.
- Then washed in the morning followed by moisturization.
- We can also mix honey to it and wash off after 15 minutes.