Health Benefits Of Blueberries
Though small in size, blueberries are among the highest antioxidant rich food. These little juicy berries are rich in all powerful nutrients and with their mouth-watering taste, they are known for their immense health benefits. Blueberries are excellent source of dietary fiber, vitamin C and manganese. Besides these, they also high in vitamin A and E, magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, folate, zinc, copper and iron. This low fat low sodium rich colored fruit contains a category of phytonutrients known as polyphenols which includes anthocyanins, hydroxybenzoic acids, hydroxycinnamic acids and flavonols.
Boost the Brain Benefits Of Blueberries:-
Because they contain such a high amount of phenols, particularly gallic acid, blueberries are known as “neuro-protective agents.” According to researchers from Iran, this means that they can literally protect our brains from degeneration, neurotoxicity and oxidative stress.
Some other foods high in gallic acid are known for their brain power as well. Brain foods that boost focus and memory include:
- Green tea
- Red wine
Another study found that consuming more blueberries slowed cognitive decline and improved memory and motor function. The scientists in this study believed these results were due to the antioxidants in blueberries that protect the body from oxidative stress and reduce inflammation.
Fight Cancer Benefits Of Blueberries:-
- Clinical studies have even discovered that, unlike radiation and chemotherapy strategies, gallic acid-rich foods like blueberries can kill cancer without harming healthy cells!
- For instance, the Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology published a study evaluating the anticancer effects gallic acid has on breast cancer cells.
- Like countless studies before, researchers discovered that blueberries and gallic acid slow and even destroy breast cancer.
- Blueberry benefits cancer primarily due to their wide range of antioxidants, with gallic acid the primary and resveratrol also offering support.
Support Digestion Benefits Of Blueberries:-
- Being a natural source of soluble and insoluble fiber, blueberries can help regulate your gastrointestinal track by just eating a couple handfuls a day.
- In fact, University of Maine researcher Vivian Chi-Hua Wu states that, “Addition of wild blueberries to diet can alter the balance of gut microbe in favor of members of the Actinobacteria phylum.”
- Wu and her team discovered that wild blueberries have prebiotic potential, which promotes growth of good bacteria (probiotics) in the colon and promotes digestive and health benefit.
Promote Heart Health Benefits Of Blueberries:-
- The journal Circulation published a study showing that eating strawberries and blueberries together has a superpower tag-team effect that actually decreases your risk of heart attack by up to 33 percent.
- After conducting research with more than 93,000 women 25 to 42 years of age, they did not observe this type of benefit in other types of antioxidants that were studied.
- Blueberry health benefits have also been shown to lower LDL cholesterol naturally, raise HDL cholesterol and lower blood pressure naturally.
Reduces Belly Fat Benefits Of Blueberries:-
- A 2009 University of Michigan Cardiovascular Center study shows that blueberries help eliminate belly fat.
- The polyphenols in blueberries can break down belly fat and reduce the risk factors for metabolic syndrome.
- Also, blueberries are a great source of fiber that helps keep you feeling full and satisfied for a longer time between meals.
- They are also high in manganese, which helps metabolize proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
- Plus, being low in fat and calories, they are an excellent addition to any weight loss diet plan.
- Eat blueberries daily to enjoy lower body weight and a lower total fat mass.
Keeps Vision Healthy Benefits Of Blueberries:-
- You can enjoy healthy vision for years by including blueberries in your diet.
- The various vitamins, minerals and antioxidants like lutein found in blueberries can help maintain healthy eyes.
- According to a study published in the 2012 issue of Laboratory Investigation, these berries are rich in compounds called anthocyanosides that help reduce vision loss, eye strain and promote a healthy retina.
- Also, blueberries can help prevent age-related vision problems like cataracts, myopia, macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy.
- Eat 1 cup of fresh blueberries on a regular basis to enjoy good vision.
Healthy Weight Loss Benefits Of Blueberries:-
- Blueberries are low in fat and high in fiber which can keep you fuller for a longer period.
- They also contain high amount of manganese which aids in metabolizing fats, protein and carbohydrates and converting them into energy.
- As blueberries are low in fat and calories, they can be an excellent addition to a weight loss diet.
Fight UTIs Benefits Of Blueberries:-
- Blueberries have bacteria-inhibiting properties that can prevent bacteria from binding to the bladder walls and prevent infection.
- Because of its antioxidant properties, blueberries help in boosting the immune system.
- Better your immune system functions, the less chance you have of contracting urinary tract infection.
Controls Blood Glucose Level Benefits Of Blueberries:-
- High antioxidant, fiber and vitamins contained in blueberries are highly effective in controlling blood sugar level and other complications associated with diabetes.
- Because of their low glycemic index, blueberries can sustain fullness and energy level for a longer period and prevent blood sugar level from rising.
- This sweet juicy fruit can also be a smarter choice for eating something sweet when you feel the urge for it.