Health Benefits Of Cauliflower
The health benefits of cauliflower include relief from indigestion, ultraviolet radiation, diabetes, colitis, respiratory papillomatosis, macular degeneration, obesity, and hypertension. The antioxidant power of cauliflower helps in strengthening the immune system and also helps in reducing risk of stroke, cancer and neurodegenerative diseases. Cauliflower also aids in maintaining bone, brain, and cellular health, electrolyte balance, optimum cholesterol levels and prevents cardiovascular disorders.
Cauliflower Fight Cancer :-
Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a sulfur compound that has also been shown to kill cancer stem cells, thereby slowing tumor growth.
Some researchers believe eliminating cancer stem cells may be key to controlling cancer. For instance, research has shown that combining cauliflower withcurcumin (the active compound in the spice turmeric) may help prevent and treat prostate cancer.
Benefits of Cauliflower in Boosting Heart Health :-
- Sulforaphane in cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables has been found to significantly improve blood pressure and kidney function.
- Scientists believe sulforaphane’s benefits are related to improved DNA methylation, which is crucial for normal cellular function and proper gene expression, especially in the easily damaged inner lining of the arteries known as the endothelium.
Benefits of Cauliflower in Boosting Your Brain Health :-
- Cauliflower is a good source of choline, a B vitamin known for its role in brain development.
- Choline intake during pregnancy “super-charged” the brain activity of animals in utero, indicating that it may boost cognitive function, and improve learning and memory.
- It may even diminish age-related memory decline and your brain’s vulnerability to toxins during childhood, as well as conferring protection later in life.
Benefits of Cauliflower in Detoxification :-
- Cauliflower helps your body’s ability to detoxify in multiple ways.
- It contains antioxidants that support Phase 1 detoxification along with sulfur-containing nutrients important for Phase 2 detox activities.
- The glucosinolates in cauliflower also activate detoxification enzymes.
Benefits of Cauliflower to help in Strong bones :-
- Low intakes of vitamin K have been associated with a higher risk for bone fracture and osteoporosis.
- Adequate vitamin K consumption improves bone health by acting as a modifier of bone matrix proteins, improving calcium absorption and reducing urinary excretion of calcium.
Cauliflower Antioxidant Capacity :-
- Brassica vegetables, such as cauliflower, contain vitamin C, manganese, and other potent antioxidants that help in imparting nourishment across a wide array of healthful categories.
- Cauliflower also contains phytochemicals, called indoles and glucosinates, namely glucobrassicin, glucoraphanin and gluconasturtiian.
- These healthful components stimulate cancer-blocking enzymes and protect the body cells from the oxidative stress and damage caused by free radicals.
Benefits of Cauliflower to prevent Stomach Disorders :-
- Cauliflower is a source of dietary fiber that aids in digestion and promotes the elimination of toxins from the body.
- The presence of glucosinolate, glucoraphanin and sulforaphane incauliflower protects the stomach lining and helps in resisting the growth of Heliobacter pylori bacteria.
- In addition to this defense mechanism, dietary isothiocyanates in cauliflower prevent the risk of various abdominal disorders such as stomach ulcers and colon cancer.
Macular Degeneration :-
- Cauliflower is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, so it may also be effective in reducing the risk of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) which can lead to blindness, particularly in the elderly.
- The sulforaphane present in cauliflower protects the retinal tissues from damage caused by the oxidative stress, prevents vision impairment and various eye ailments such as cataracts.
Benefits of Cauliflower in Weight Loss :-
- Cauliflower also helps us to lose weight.
- Cauliflower contains vitamin C which is a key element to burn fat.
- And it also contains folates which again help in weight loss .
- One cup of cauliflower contains about 30 calories.
- It is one of the non-starchy food items that can be eaten in unlimited quantity.
Cauliflower reduces Hypertension and Cholesterol :-
- The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of the glucoraphanin and sulforaphane present in cauliflower help in reducing the oxidative stress, along with the levels of LDL and total cholesterol.
- It also promotes the stimulation of HDL cholesterol and lowers the blood pressure.
- In addition to this, the fiber and omega-3 fatty acid present in cauliflower also aids in the reduction of bad cholesterol and prevents hardening of the arteries.
Benefits of Cauliflower in Pregnancy :-
- Inclusion of cauliflower in the diet is beneficial during pregnancy due to the presence of essential folate, which helps in healthy neural development of the baby.
- Cauliflower also has various other essential vitamins and minerals, including fiber, which promote overall health.