Natural home remedies for clogged ears
Has your ear become muffled? Fortunately, in various cases, it can have nothing to affect to your actual hearing ability. It is simply caused by a clogged ear that relates to a blockage in your ear canal. People with a clogged ear experience some common symptoms such as reduced hearing capacity, a windy sound in the ear, a feeling of having liquid or mucus within the ear, and a popping sensation in the ear.
You can suffer from a clogged ear if the Eustachian tube doesn’t close and open properly to equalize and regulate the pressure between the pressure in the air outside your ear and your middle ear. Besides, common factors which can cause this problem are the earwax buildup, pressure differences in your middle ear, cold and sinus problems, and the flow blockage of air to the Eustachian tubes. Although clogged ears can affect to people of all ages, this problem is still most common among children, particularly when they have colds.
Valsalva Maneuver :-
You can easily get rid of clogged ears by performing the Valsalva maneuver. It will relieve stuffiness and pain in the ear.
- Close your mouth and pinch your nostrils closed with your fingers, then take a deep breath.
- Blow air out of your nose to regulate the air pressure. If done correctly, you will hear a slight popping sound which means the Eustachian tubes are open again.
Note: Don’t blow your nose too hard as it may cause damage to the ear drum.
Check out this video to learn about Valsalva maneuver and other ear equalization techniques.
Alcohol and Apple Cider Vinegar :-
To destroy any kind of bacterial infection that may be causing clogged ears, you can use a combination of alcohol and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix equal amounts of alcohol and apple cider vinegar.
- Lie down on your side and use a dropper to put a few drops of this mixture in the affected ear.
- To keep the mixture from spilling out, place a cotton ball in the ear and do not raise your head.
- Rest for five to 10 minutes to allow the mixture to do its work.
- Remove the earwax with an ear bud.
- If the other ear is also clogged, repeat the process with the other ear.
Olive Oil :-
For clogged ears due to a buildup of wax inside the ears, you can use olive oil. Olive oil will help soften ear wax so you can easily remove it.
- Gently warm some pure olive oil.
- Use a dropper to put a few drops of the lukewarm olive oil in the affected ear.
- Allow it to settle for 10 minutes so that the earwax becomes soft.
- Keep your head sideways and remove the oil and ear wax with ear buds. Do this very gently so you don’t hurt the delicate organ.
You can also use baby oil or mineral oil in place of olive oil.
Inhaling steam is one of the simplest ways to get rid of clogged ears resulting from a cold. The steam will help thin and loosen the mucus, which in turn will give you relief from clogged ears. Steam can also help loosen earwax causing clogging.
- Pour hot steaming water in a large bowl.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil or lavender essential oil to it.
- Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam slowly until the clogged ear opens up.
You can also take a hot shower for about 10 minutes to relieve clogged ears.
Hydrogen Peroxide :-
You can use hydrogen peroxide to unclog ears blocked by wax accumulation.
- Using a dropper, put two drops of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide in the affected ear.
- You will hear fizzing within a few minutes. Wait 10 minutes or until the fizzing stops.
- Then tilt your head to let the solution and earwax drain out.
Note: Do not use hydrogen peroxide in excess as it can cause harm to your ear drums.
Make some garlic oil ear drops :-
- Here’s how: Heat some cooking oil with a small piece of garlic cut into 2 pieces.
- After it cools, remove the garlic pieces, then put 2 drops of the liquid into your clogged ear.
- Garlic is a natural antibiotic so this will help to prevent infection, and the warm oil will help to relieve the discomfort and hopefully unclog your ear.
Apple Cider Vinegar With Rubbing Alcohol :-
- Apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular home remedies for clogged ears because this vinegar will help in dissolving the mucus and draining it out from your body.
- In addition, it also contains an antibacterial property, which can help to treat many other infections leading to fluid buildup and clogged ears.
- The combination of this apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol can assist you in breaking up any ear wax, which remains hinder to drain the fluid.
Garlic Oil With Sesame Oil :-
- Natural home remedies for clogged ears because it is a great natural antibiotic.
- If your clogged ear is caused by some ear infections, taking this garlic can aid in giving you relief from the pain and discomfort by clearing the infection.
- While using this garlic oil regularly helps in preventing the infection, applying warm oil can give you relief from the plugged ears completely.
Baking Soda, Non-iodized Salt, And Water :-
- The clogged ears can be the result of the allergic inflammation caused by a sinus infection.
- You can make a nasal saline spray with baking soda, non-iodized salt, and water and use it as one of the effective home remedies for clogged ears.
- This nasal saline spray works as mild decongestants that can help to unblock the plugged nose and get rid of your clogged ears by relieving the congestion.
Yawning is another simple way in the list of top 22 natural home remedies for clogged ears that you should follow. The act of yawning will decrease the air pressure in your ear and help to activate the muscles opening your Eustachian tubes.
- Firstly, you open your mouth slightly.
- Then, you attempt to yawn till there is a slight pop in the air.
- You should repeat this process if the first yawn didn’t bring relief or till you start hearing this sound more clearly.